Dec

Jumpin Junonia!

seashellers awe

Throughout every year, there are many days the seashells rush onto the beach forced by waves from the Gulf Of Mexico forming mounds of shells deeper than you can dig. Every single time it happens, I’m in awe. I have to stand still and stare at the power just like this little girl.

best beach florida seashells

I get mesmerized by the shells rolling onto the beach where some remain then watch the rest roll back out into the bubbling sea foam.

seashells seafoam

Mesmerized. The waves never stop… in and out, in and out. Back and forth, back and forth… the shells roll on the beach. Beautiful.

seashells waves foam beach florida

I’m so happy I could film this amazing sight with my video camera to share with my shelling friends. But Whaaaaa! I see a familiar pattern and shape! My brain wakes up and my heart starts pounding! Is that? Is that? Then my mind goes blank and all I can think about is the next wave taking away my treasure. With the camera rolling, at lightning speed I spring off my jetty rock perch with wet flip flops, cold drenched pants and nothing but brown spots in my vision. Looook oooouuut beeeelooooowwwww!!!!

shell diving

You’ll have to see the rest for yourselves… LOL .. here’s my video from yesterday and you’ll see Eric find a HORSE CONCH and give it to Michelle (I showed both of them in my last post)… then hang on, the view gets a little bumpy. hahahaYouTube Preview Image

Heehee… Okay, so you see it was only the top of the JUNONIA, but I didn’t know that at the time of course! You just never know and you have to be quick to get the good ones when the shells come in that way.

Today was another excellent day at Blind Pass Captiva so I have more photos to show you tomorrow!

Happy Holidays, y’all!

seashell mound captiva florida

Comments

1. Nikki says:

I love shelling/beach combing…blind pass was one of the first place we found in 2011 on our trip and made daily trips while we stayed in FMB. I love how quickly you reacted and how excited you were seeing the bit of a junonia…I never did find one but I will not give up….Merry Christmas to you and Clark!

2. Linda from SW Michigan says:

It must be that years of practice have refined your technique–I saw nothing rolling in the surf to get excited about. And if I tried to move off the rocks that quickly, I’d either be face first or butt first in the water. And we won’t even mention what would have happened to my camera. But Pam the Magnificient Sheller, grabs the junonia shard on her first try.! You set a high standard for us!
    Merry Christmas and have a Happy Shelling New Year!

3. Diane Parr says:

OMG thats so funny …… Cat like reflexes Pam !!!!!! Can’t wait to come back …. maybe someday I will win the lottery and retire there :)

4. Traci says:

Lol…I was intently watching the video and you let out that yulp..it startled me..I had to replay the video cause I missed you grabbing for the juno! Lol..wasnt expecting you to yulp!! Lol…

So many shells…soooo calming to hear the waves swooshing in and out. Looks to be a beautiful day too! Yup I cant wait!! So soon!

5. Parker says:

I was so happy to see a new post and this was your most delightful video ever…you were so mulit-talented. I also would have fallen, missed the shell and dropped my camera in the sea!!

Wishing for a trip to Sanibel from Santa and the ability to enlarge all your photo’s
    if that is possible….helps me deal with winter! We got 8 in. last night here in PA!

Merry Christmas to Pam and all her avid followers!

Wow Pam, I can’t believe how fast you were! It’s a very nice Junonia top anyway, I would certainly settle for that!

7. Lee says:

Pam, you are fast! Nice Junonia top.
    Merry Christmas to all you shellers out there!!

8. Ken F. says:

Hi Pam,
    Merry Christmas to you and your family! Thanks for the vids. It’s great to see everyone having a great time for a change!!!

Ken

9. Jeanne Winters says:

Grabbing shells in the surf reminds me of grabbing doubloons off the ground during a Mardi Gras parade. I’m from the New Orleans area and made my first
    trip to Captiva the last week of November. It took me 15 years to get there, but it was worth it. I’m planning my next trip there during Mardi Gras break. I’d rather
    be shelling!!

10. Carol says:

We should call you “Flash Rambo”!

11. jude says:

Wow…wish I could move that fast!! Thank you for your blogs….shelling is a passion of mine and you make my day every time I read one! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Pam & Clark

12. Kathie and John says:

Pam a very Merry Christmas to you and Clark and all our other shelling friends everywhere! We will be there mid Januray for a month…we are excited! Weather is getting cold in north texas..time to take a break…may have snow tomorrow! We hope to find a Junonia and we will one day!

John and Kathie