Jan

Pen Shell Art

Pen Shell fish

People amaze me. A very creative person had a huge canvas of beach and oodles of PEN SHELLS to use as their medium to design this way cute shell-fish. Check out the clam shells for teeth!

Pen Shell Fish eating

Look what he’s eating….

Cockle alligator

A COCKLE  shell gator!

pen shells and beach stuff

So many PEN SHELLS were at Gulf Side City Park, they could have made even more sculptures.

Pen Shell mermaid

This seashell mermaid is getting swept back into the sea where she belongs.

Stiff Pen Shells with water

The first day we see PEN SHELLS on a beach, we see it as a good sign of good shelling days ahead. They are usually the first shells that get stirred up and brought to shore so there are usually good shells like CONCHS and WHELKS to follow.

Stiff Pen Shell

This is an example of a STIFF PEN SHELL.

Saw-tooth Pen Shell

This is what the inside of a SAW-TOOTH PEN SHELL looks like. Beautiful iridescent colors!

building sand castles

Here are the Raymond boys building Sand Egypt with pyramids and a sphinx. Hmmm…. will they add PEN SHELLS to adorn it? I saw the PEN SHELLS art after I met the Raymond boys so I have no idea if they were the creators of the shell fish and mermaid. Maybe?

Comments

1. kimber says:

I’ve never been a huge fan of Pen Shells but after looking at these photo’s they are pretty cool,who would have thought of all the things you could make with shells.

2. Dovie Roberts Belmont says:

This Pen Shell Art is amazing!! What beautiful creations!! I am in awe of how neat these pieces are!!! WOW! WOW!! Love them all!!! Thank you for giving us an opportunity to view these!!!

3. Fran, Ft Myers says:

How large were the fish and alligator? They look pretty big…

4. Mary Jo Shannon says:

I’m always drawn to the pieces of the iridescent pen shells that I find while shelling. I’ve never found a whole one like the one in the photo- beautiful!!!

5. debby says:

great creations! thanks

6. Leah says:

GREAT photos Pam… thanks a million for sharing. Just love those creative souls who make art out of stuff!

7. Marcia Rowland says:

I’ve only found shell art once walking the beach on Sanibel outsite the Waterside Inn. It was so cool that someone took the time to make it and then left it for everyone else to enjoy. The art was the American flag and it was the weekend after the 911 disaster. Made my heart feel light. :)

8. Julia says:

Oh my god, i was at the beach without my camera this week and now you have the pictures on your website…Thank you, thank you …Back in Massachusetts wishing I was still in Florida

9. becky at beachsnaps says:

OMG! Very creative!

10. Ellen says:

It’s nice to know someone is having fun hanging out on the beach being creative. I think I’ll make some time for that soon. The beach does a body good…

11. Lisa Givens says:

Fantastic! I just love your photos Pam. What a wonderful sight to stumble upon.

12. Tootie says:

I just love seeing the art on the beach. Those are very nice!

13. Kim says:

Hi, just wanted to know what is the best way to clean pens that you find on the shore? I have a bunch and would love to bring out their beautiful shine. Anyone…..

Thanks