Happy Mothers Day to you and to all of the island moms that make Sanibel so special… like this BOBCAT mamma and her three BOBCAT KITTENS I was honored to see and photograph.
It was such a thrill to witness (through a screened window) this special moment while she taught her kittens how to navigate the island. To read the whole story CLICK HERE
This was the quick video of them I took while shaking with excitement…
Oh and I have another video of a mother and her babies… An OCTOPUS with her babies hatching! For the whole story CLICK HERE
To honor another mother, please remember that we are now in SEA TURTLE nesting season May through October.
By following these simple guidelines, you can do your part to ensure the survival of these magnificent creatures:
- Turn off or shield lights near the beaches. Artificial beach lighting can inhibit female sea turtles from nesting and disorient hatchlings. Most beachfront lighting issues can be addressed by turning off all unnecessary lights, repositioning or modifying light fixtures, or closing blinds and drapes.
- Remove furniture and other items from the beach and dune area, when not in use, between the hours of 9:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M. Items left on the beach including beach furniture, toys and trash may provide barriers to nesting or result in entanglement and predation of hatchlings.
- Level all sandcastles and fill any holes dug during play. These are fine during the day but may pose additional hazards at night. Please leave the beach as you found it, so that sea turtles and hatchlings are not hindered on their way to nest or to the water.
- Pick up all trash. Sea turtles mistakenly eat debris, especially plastic, which results in death.
- Honor the leash law. All dogs on the beach must be on a leash and not allowed to disturb nesting turtles or hatchlings.
Happy Mother’s Day, Mom!
Happy Mother’s day everyone. I know there have been sightings of bobcats on the island, but does anyone know how this mother and her kittens made out? Good shelling . Pat
Happy Mother’s day to all people, and to all living creatures.
Love the pic of the mom bobcat and her 3 babies following her…………….so adorable!
Great pic of you and your mom, Pam. Treasure her always!
Happy Mothers Day Pam ! Great picture of you and your Mom !! I love all your stories, pictures and shelling expeditions. You are living the dream on Sanibel Island and I so much appreciate you sharing it all with us !! Keep up the good work and I loved the Bobcats and Octopus babies. Feel blessed to have you.
I’m a day late, but Happy Mother’s Day to all – including the fur Mommies!
Thanks for the reminder about the Sea Turtle nesting guidelines. Here’s hoping they all survive.
They are just adorable. Happy Mothers day.
So sweet. Happy Mother’s Day to everybody!